Research Associate (PostDoc)
GESIS – Leibniz-Institute for the Social Sciences is an internationally active research institute, funded by federal and state governments and member of the Leibniz Association.
Starting as soon as possible our Department Data Archive for the Social Sciences, Team Archive Instruments and Metadata Standards located in Cologne, is looking for a
The „Data Archive for the Social Sciences“ provides access to social science research data, including national (e.g., ALLBUS, GLES) and international (e.g., ISSP, EVS) survey programs. As a key player in social science infrastructures for research data, the department works with German (e.g., RatSWD) and European (e.g., CESSDA) partners to continuously improve the discoverability, documentation, and usability of data to strengthen social science research.
Starting 2019 GESIS implements together with UKDA, FORS, FSD, and NSD the „CESSDA Metadata Office“. The office oversees the strategic developments of all metadata related issues within CESSDA and gives recommendations for CESSDA Service Providers on metadata (task 1) and also coordinates the multilingual Thesaurus ELSST and other controlled vocabulary services (task 2).
Your tasks will be:
- Project management of the Metadata Office with five international partner institutes
- Scientific coordination and implementation of the Metadata Office task 1, especially monitoring and definition of the strategic metadata requirements for tools and services
- Scientific support and contact person for Metadata Office task 2
- Conception and implementation of trainings
- Scientific publications related to the topics of the work
- Very good completed PhD in a relevant discipline, preferably the social sciences, sociology or political science
- Good understanding of development of metadata schemata, e.g. DDI
- Knowledge in the use of Thesauri and controlled vocabularies
- Project management experience, preferably internationally
- Very good written and spoken German and English language skills
GESIS offers an exciting work environment for interdisciplinary research at the interface between social sciences and computer sciences. As an infrastructure institution, we serve the promotion of the social science research, and we are in close cooperation with well-known international research institutes.
GESIS supports your career developments. We offer a wide range of career possibilities within an attractive working atmosphere with a high level of self-responsibility and scope for action. You work in an international environment in the heart of Cologne and you benefit from our flexible working area.
GESIS guarantees the attention of the disability regulations and advances the professional gender equality.
The position is available on a full-time or part-time basis.
As a family-friendly employer, we are certified by the audit Work&Family since 2010.
Here you will find further information.