GESIS – Leibniz-Institute for the Social Sciences is an internationally active research institute, funded by federal and state governments and member of the Leibniz Association.
Starting on January 1st, 2019 our Department Knowledge Technologies for the Social Science located in Cologne, is looking for a
Research Associate in the field of Human-Computer Interaction / Interactive Information Retrieval
The department “Knowledge Technologies for the Social Sciences” (WTS) develops new, digital services for the social sciences in collaboration with the other scientific departments and on the basis of innovative knowledge technologies.
Your tasks will be:
- Research in the intersection of Human-Computer Interaction, Information Retrieval and Natural Language Processing (NLP)
- Design and implementation of search interfaces for vague conditions
- Designing and conducting user studies
- Admission of a doctoral project in cooperation with Dr. Dagmar Kern and Prof. Dr. Stefan Dietze in the context of the DFG-funded project “VACOS - Vague Text and Fact Conditions for Object Search”.
- Excellent university degree (Master/Diploma) in Computer Science, Media Informatics, Human Factors or comparable subject area
- Sound knowledge and experience in the creation of interaction concepts and user interfaces as well as in conducting user studies
- Sound experience in software development in the field of web, database and search technologies
- Good German and English skills, both written and spoken
For further information concerning the tasks please contact Dr. Dagmar Kern via phone (0221) 47694 – 536 or via E-Mail. If you have questions about the application process, please contact Julia Barmann via E-Mail.
Interested?Please apply via our Online-application portal until 02.12.2018
GESIS offers an exciting work environment for interdisciplinary research at the interface between the social sciences and computer science. As an infrastructure institution, we promote social science research and cooperate with renowned international research institutes.
GESIS supports your PhD, i.e., with our GESIS Doctoral Program. We offer a wide range of career opportunities in an attractive and rewarding work environment that allows you to carry out your tasks in a creative and autonomous manner. You will work in an international environment in the heart of Cologne and benefit from our flexible working conditions as well as our extensive internal and external networks.
GESIS is an equal opportunity employer and adheres to disability regulations.
We are a family-friendly employer and have been certified by the audit Work&Family since 2010.
You will find further information here.