GESIS – Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences is an internationally active research institute, funded by federal and state governments and member of the Leibniz Association.
Starting on September 1st, 2019, our Department Survey Design and Methodology, Team Cross-Cultural Surveys located in Mannheim, is looking for a
Research Associate (Doctoral Candidate)
The department Survey Design & Methodology (SDM) is both nationally and internationally recognized for its expertise in survey methodology, gained over many years by conducting own research as well as consulting on and implementing renowned survey projects.
Your tasks will be:
- Implementation of a research project on machine translation and computer-aided translation tools (EU-SSHOC)
- Supporting the team of the European Social Survey (ESS) in the field of questionnaire design and questionnaire translation
- Supporting the Cross-Cultural Surveys team in service and research in the field of questionnaire translation
- Doing a doctorate in the areas above is possible
- Degree (Master/Diploma) in Translation, Linguistics or another relevant subject
- Very good language skills in German, English and Russian, with Russian to mother tongue standard
- (Basic) knowledge of French is an advantage
- Translation skills in the language pair English-Russian (e.g. through relevant studies)
- Interest in scientific work in an interdisciplinary context
- Knowledge of computer-aided translation tools, machine translation and post-editing is an advantage
For further information concerning the tasks, please contact Dr. Dorothée Behr via phone +49(0)621-1246-586 or via E-Mail. If you have questions about the application process, please contact Helena Rustler via E-Mail.
Interested?Please apply via our Online-application portal until 30.06.2019
GESIS offers an exciting work environment for interdisciplinary research at the interface between the social sciences and computer science. As an infrastructure institution, we promote social science research and cooperate with renowned international research institutes.
GESIS supports your PhD, i.e., with our GESIS Doctoral Program. GESIS supports your career development. We offer a wide range of career opportunities in an attractive and rewarding work environment that allows you to carry out your tasks in a creative and autonomous manner. You will work in an international environment in the heart of Mannheim and benefit from our flexible working conditions as well as our extensive internal and external networks.
GESIS is an equal opportunity employer and adheres to disability regulations.We are a family-friendly employer and have been certified by the audit Work&Family since 2010.
You will find further information here.