GESIS – Leibniz-Institute for the Social Sciences is an internationally active research institute, funded by federal and state governments and member of the Leibniz Association.
In conjunction with the University of Mannheim Graduate School, we are seeking applicants for an open PhD position in Mannheim, Germany for employment in the team International Survey Programs as a:
PhD/ Wissenschaftliche*r Mitarbeiter*in und Data Processing Specialist im Projekt Comparative Study of Electoral Systems (CSES)
Your tasks will be:
- Pursuing a PhD in a substantive Political Science, Social Sciences or in a methodological topic preferably with a cross-national focus
- Presenting your research in national and international conferneces
- Publishing your work in renowned international journals
- Being a member of the Comparative Study of Electoral Systems (CSES) Secretariat
- Data Processing, involving: Processing survey data from national election studies, identifying coding problems and inconsistencies, developing program syntax to fix coding errors, and creating and editing data documentation materials in English
- Qualified degree (Masters or equivalent) in a Social Science discipline, preferably Political Science or Survey Methodology
- Demonstrable experience of a statistical program (e.g., STATA, SPSS, SAS, R) and use of program syntax, and in using software typical of an academic environment (MS Office, systematic web searches etc.)
- Strong proficiency in spoken and written English (C1 standard minimum).
- Basic proficiency in German (e.g., B1 standard) or willingness to acquire it during the position
- Knowledge of elections and an interest in cross-national research, as well as experience in using and/or coding survey data from cross-national projects is a strong advantage
- Ability to work in a cross-national team, and to cope with fluctuating workloads, and multiple requests
For further information concerning this job description, please contact Oshrat Hochman PhD by phone +49 621 1246 428 or by email.
Applications should be made through the GESS website online portal and include a letter of motivation specifically stating an interest in the GESIS/CSES position, a writing sample, certificates and transcripts of grades and two letters of reference. More information is available here. Applications are due on March 31, 2019.
GESIS offers an exciting work environment for interdisciplinary research at the interface between the social sciences and computer science. As an infrastructure institution, we promote social science research and cooperate with renowned international research institutes.
GESIS supports your PhD, i.e., with our GESIS Doctoral Program. We offer a wide range of career possibilities within an attractive working atmosphere with a high degree of responsibility and action possibilities. You work in an international environment in the heart of Mannheim. You profit from our ideal working conditions and our internal and external networks.
GESIS is an equal opportunity employer and adheres to the disability guidelines.
We are a family-friendly employer and since 2010 we are certified by the audit Work&Family.
You will find further information here.